Return to Table of Contents
Questions and Answers
Contents (Click on blue number at the left for the answer)
- 1 Is the practice of "confession" biblical?
- 2 I have had some wonderful pets through the years, and came to love them dearly before they died. Is there any chance that I will see them again In God's Kingdom?
- 3 Did Christ ever eat the meat of animals? Was He a vegetarian?
- 4 1 Peter 4:6 seems to indicate that the Gospel was preached to "them that are dead"? How can that be?
- 5 Since the soul is not immortal, would you explain the appearing of Samuel to Saul after Samuel's death?
- 6 I Peter 2:21 says, "Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps." If Jesus were not teaching celibacy by His example, why didn't He marry?
- 7 Should Christians be baptized on behalf of dead friends and relatives who died unbaptized? Did Paul teach baptism for the dead?
- 8 Should Christian brethren close personal letters to one another with the phrase "In Jesus' name"?
- 9 Should women be ordained as preachers?
- 10 Does Mark 16:18 mean we must handle deadly snakes to prove our faith In God, as some groups practice?
- 11 I hope very much that one day I can marry and have children. But with world events obviously leading to the end of this age soon, I'm wondering if I will have the chance for marriage and family.
- 12 Can we look to Jesus too much, and make Him to be in our minds above God the Father? Or should we think of Jesus as being less than God the Father?
- 13 Who was the disciple "whom Jesus loved" (John 13:21-25)?
- 14 Would you explain John 10:30? What did Christ mean when He said He and His Father are one?
- 15 What did Paul mean In Romans 7:4, when he said, "Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God"?
- 16 Why was King David not stoned for committing adultery with Bathsheba?
- 17 How did the different races originate?
- 18 Why is the institution of marriage so important to man? What is the purpose of the family relationship? Couldn't mankind get along without the relationship of the family?
- 19 In Luke 14:26 Jesus Is quoted as saying: "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." What did Jesus mean?
- 20 How should a Christian honor unbelieving parents? How can one honor and respect parents who are not following God's ways? Can we look to them for leadership and example when they are doing things that are not really right in God's eyes?
- 21 Is it wrong to wear wedding rings and jewelry?
- 22 Just what is leaven? Which foods are to be avoided during the Days of Unleavened Bread?
- 23 Is there biblical proof that the word "even" in Exodus 12:18 refers to the end of the 14th day of the month and not to its beginning? I thought each day begins at "even" as God counts time.
- 24 Matthew 26:17 calls the Passover a day of unleavened bread. Please explain.
- 25 I noticed that Abib is the name of the first month of God's calendar (Ex. 13:4) and that Zif and Bul are the second and eighth months (I Kings 6:1, 38). Could you give me the names of the other months?
- 26 I have heard reference made to the "19-year time cycle" in the Hebrew calendar. Would you please explain what this time cycle is?
- 27 Sabbath keeping is an affront to the liberty of the gospel of Christ. I fail to see why Christians 'have to' keep the ritual law as given in the Pentateuch, but I agree that the moral law is unchangeable. As Christians
we must love God and our neighbors, for 'love is the fulfilling of the law.'
- 28 "The scriptures seem to indicate
that the apostles observed 'the first
day of the week' (namely the eve of Sunday) as the 'Lord's Day,' the
regular day of worship.
I don't have the historic background to know for sure if the above was a fact or not."
- 29 What is a new moon? How does God want us to regard new moon today?
- 30 How was it possible for Noah to make a ship large enough to carry the many species of animals safely through the Flood?
- 31 Why didn't God reprove Abraham for having a child by Hagar? Wasn't that a case of adultery?
- 32 How did we get the Bible? Can we be sure that the original Hebrew and Greek Scriptures have been accurately preserved?
- 33 "Can you tell me where Cain got his wife?"
- 34 Does Exodus 34:28 mean that Moses, not God, wrote the Ten Commandments?
- 35 In I Samuel 15:3, God commanded Saul to "go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey. " Why did God have to deal so harshly with these people?
- 36 In John 9:3, Jesus told His disciples that the blindness of a particular man resulted from neither his sins nor the sins of his parents. Was this man predestined to be blind from birth?
- 37 When was the Bible divided into chapters and verses?
- 38 How can we be certain that the days mentioned in Genesis 1 are 24 hours long? Some authorities claim these days are actually 1,000 years or more in length.
- 39 I have heard that Jesus Christ, between the ages of 12 and 30, was in a foreign nation.
Where does the Bible say He lived during those years?
- 40 Is there any evidence, outside the Bible, that Jesus Christ really lived?
- 41 "If God is the Father of Christ, then it is because sometime in the eons before the beginning of creation God created His Son out of
His own living word. Otherwise how could God be the Father and Christ be the Son if God did not create
- 42 What is the origin of April Fools' Day?
- 43 Should a Christian observe Christmas? How did Christmas originate?
- 44 All right. So Christmas is based on pagan traditions and myths. What is wrong with borrowing some of those customs and using them to honor Jesus on His birthday?
- 45 Is it true that many American colonists refused to keep Christmas and New Year's Day because both were derived from paganism?
- 46 I've heard you say on your television program that Christmas observance does not come from the Bible. Where does it come from, then?
- 47 How do I tell my friends and relatives that I no longer wish to exchange presents?
- 48 Some relatives have invited me to their house for dinner on Christmas Day. Should I refuse the invitation?
- 49 My friends and relatives continue to send me Christmas cards. Should I write back to each of them and explain that I have quit celebrating Christmas?
What happens if someone gives me a gift anyway? Should I return it?
- 50 What should I say when someone wishes me "Merry Christmas"?
- 51 Even though I have ceased to celebrate Christmas because I know the truth about it, is there anything wrong in continuing to exchange gifts out of the motive of giving rather than wanting to follow pagan customs?
- 52 What do I tell my children now that they will no longer be receiving presents at Christmas?
- 53 Is there anything I can do to prevent my child from having to participate in Christmas activities at school?
- 54 It is a standard policy for the company where I work to give all employees a Christmas bonus. Should I accept this bonus?
- 55 Where and when did the custom of observing lent get started?
- 56 I have been told ministers should not be called "Reverend." Why is this?
- 57 What are the groves mentioned so many times throughout the Old Testament?
- 58 Is it wrong to plant crops according to the phases of the moon or the signs of the zodiac?
- 59 What did Jesus Christ mean when He said:"And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28)? How can the soul ever be destroyed?
- 60 Is there a scripture that tells us to "cry at a birth and rejoice at a death"?
- 61 Please explain Genesis 3:15 about the promised seed.
- 62 What is the "synagogue of Satan" mentioned in Revelation 2:9 and 3:9?
- 63 The Bible says, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" (Acts 16:31). 1 have been told that we don't have to obey God's commandments, but that we can still be saved just as long as we believe. Is this right?
- 64 What does the prophecy of Matthew 24:19-20 mean?
- 65 What is the "land Sabbath" spoken of in the Bible?
- 66 We're often told that we should pray for our enemies, but how should we do that? Surely we shouldn't pray for bad trials to come on them, yet if they are not converted, it doesn't seem we should ask God to bless them, either (John 17:9).
- 67 "Please explain the apparent contradiction between Mat. 27:5 and Acts 1:18. Did Judas Iscariot, after betraying Christ, hang himself, or just swell up and burst open?"
- 68 What are the ordinances mentioned in Epheslans 2:15 and Colossians 2:14, which the apostle Paul says were abolished and done away?
- 69 In Isaiah 11:12, the Bible uses the expression "the four corners of the earth." Didn't the Old Testament prophets understand that the earth was not flat?
- 70 Would you explain the number 666 of Revelation 13?
- 71 What was the apostle Paul doing when he commanded those in authority in the Church to "deliver such a one [a fornicator] to Satan for the destruction of the flesh" (I Corinthians 5:5)? Why would Paul do this? Is this really showing love to a person?
- 72 You say that Jesus Christ did not come to save this world. But doesn't the Bible teach that He came to save the world by dying for it?
- 73 Some who have left the Church claim Christ did away with God's law. One scripture they cite Is Luke 16:16: "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached." Would you explain the meaning of this verse?
- 74 Would you explain what Paul meant by "the end of the law" (Rom. 10:4)?
- 75 What did Christ mean when He said, "And if your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out... " (Matt. 5:29-30)?
- 76 "You have been doing a pretty good job lately, but you are still quoting out of the Old Testament, which we are not to do! Paul said so!
If we do, we will be confused! According to all the apostles, we are only to teach of Jesus Christ and Him crucified and raised from the dead !"
- 77 Are we to ask God's
terrible justice and vengeance upon them, as David did in some of the Psalms? Are not these contrary to Christ's prayers for God's mercy on those who crucified Him?
- 78 In James 1:13, we read that God tempts no man. yet, in Genesis 22:1 it says, "God did tempt Abraham." Can you explain what appears to be a contradiction?
- 79 "I'm confused about Luke 22:36. If Christians are not to fight, why did Christ tell those who had no sword to go and buy one?"
- 80 What is the meaning of Leviticus 19:27 and 21:5? Do these passages imply that it is wrong to shave or cut one's hair?
- 81 Are we headed for a time of worldwide catastrophes? Is this what Jesus meant in Matthew 24:8, when He said: "All these are the beginning of sorrows"?
- 82 Does Malachi 4:5-6 mean that the prophet Elijah will reappear on earth before Christ's Second Coming?
- 83 I was baptized at age 13 by a minister of a large Christian denomination, but I didn't understand the true meaning of repentance until I began studying my Bible, hearing your broadcasts and reading your magazines. Should I be baptized again?
- 84 What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
- 85 Can a person understand the Bible on his own? I've been trying to understand the Bible for a long time, but I'm more confused than ever.
- 86 Although I wish to live as close as possible to God's way, I do not desire eternal life. I may be missing the whole point of my existence and the reason for obeying God, but living forever does not interest me.
- 87 How does salt lose its savor?
- 88 We are puzzled as to why our Lord treated the fig tree that way, because it had no fruit when he was hungry.
- 89 There doesn't seem to be any reference to baptism in the Old Testament. Where did John the Baptist get the ceremony of baptism?
- 90 I want to change and give my life to God, but I don't know what to repent of. When I look at my past, it seems to me I've been a lot better than some people I know. What should I repent of to be a Christian?
- 91 I've heard many people talk about sin, but they leave me wondering what sin is - what it is a person must give up as a Christian.
- 92 Would you explain what law Paul was referring to when he said, "By the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight" (Rom. 3:20)?
- 93 What does the Bible say about suicide?
- 94 Why are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John called "the four gospels"?
- 95 What does the Bible say about how women should dress?
- 96 Why did Jesus Christ have to suffer to become perfect, since He never sinned?
- 97 I accept that this is the end time and I realize I need help. My question is how do I join God's true Church?
- 98 What should a Christian do about asking God's blessing on a meal in a public restaurant?
- 99 Will God hear and answer my prayers even though I am not yet baptized? Should I pray at all?
- 100 Would you please explain Matthew 11:12? What, exactly, did Jesus Christ mean when He said "the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force."
- 101 Is it idolatry to salute the flag?
- 102 Why did Abraham and David find high favour with God, since they committed sins such as lying, adultery, and murder? Does God show favouritism?
- 103 I know the Bible does not contradict itself. In Ezekiel 20:25 it states, God gave the children of Israel statutes and judgements that were not good. Can you please explain?
- 104 Can you tell me who wrote the book of
Genesis? I have asked several people and no one can give me an answer?
- 105 My granddaughter is eight years old and she wants to know "Where did God come from?" I would appreciate your giving me an answer.
- 106 Many of your articles effectively refute evolution and support the Bible. Yet you seem to believe the earth is a lot older than the 6,000 years that the Bible indicates. Isn't this a contradiction?
- 107 It is my understanding that verses 1 and 2 of Genesis, chapter 1, explain the creation of the earth. Yet, you say these verses describe events which happened before the seven day "creation week." Can you prove your belief from the Bible?
- 108 In one of your publications I read that the earth was originally inhabited by angels. Please explain.
- 109 Where did the devil and his demons come
- 110 Could you explain how there could be light
on the first day of creation when the sun, moon, and stars were not created
until the fourth day?
- 111 Where was the Garden of Eden
- 112 Why did not Adam and Eve die the day they
ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil as God had said they would
- 113 Genesis 2:19 indicates that God created the
beasts of the field after He created Adam. Doesn't this contradict the account
given in Genesis 1?
- 114 What was the "mark" God put on Cain (Genesis 4:15)?
- 115 Can you tell me how the various races came
through the flood since only Noah and his family were saved?
- 116 How did animals become distributed after the
- 117 Why was Canaan cursed for an act apparently
committed by Ham (Genesis 9:24)?
- 118 Would you explain the 400 years mentioned in Genesis 15:13 and the 430 years given in Exodus 12:40? Why is there a thirty
year difference between the two?
- 119 Can you tell me which nations are identified as the tribes of Israel today? (Genesis 49).
- 120 You say the English word "God" in Genesis
1:1 is translated from the Hebrew word Elohim. Could you tell me what the name Elohim means?
- 121 I understand God made man in His own image after creating all the animals and other creatures. What does "In our image" mean (Genesis 1:26)?
- 122 Can you tell me who or what the cherubim are as mentioned in Genesis 3:24?
- 123 Genesis 6:4 seems to indicate that angels (sons of God) married women prior to Noah's flood. Is this true?
- 124 I read in Genesis 6:6 that God "repented." How can God repent? He has not sinned.
- 125 Genesis 32:30 says that Jacob saw God face to face, yet I John 4:12 declares that no man has seen God at any time. I know the Bible does not contradict itself, but how can this be explained?
- 126 Genesis 2:2-3 states that God rested on the seventh day and sanctified it. You teach this day is Saturday. How can you be sure that the original seventh day is still Saturday? Haven't there been changes in the calendar?
- 127 What is meant in Genesis 3:16? Here God told Eve that "in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children."?
- 128 Why did God create different races?
- 129 The first account of a polygamist marriage is in Genesis 4:19. Did God approve of men having more than one wife?
- 130 Why do you teach that man does not have a soul when Genesis 2:7 states that man became a living soul?
- 131 My church teaches the fall of man. Did Adam
and Eve "fall", or what really happened when they ate of the forbidden fruit in
- 132 What was the forbidden fruit? I have been told that it was sex.
- 133 I understand that you teach that the 10 commandments were in force from creation and that the sin of Adam and Eve involved breaking several of them. Can you tell me which commandments Adam and Eve transgressed?
- 134 Why did God reject Cain's offering (Genesis 4:5)?
- 135 I understand you teach that God's promises to Abraham were two-fold - race and grace. Would you explain what these promises mean?
- 136 I was surprised to learn Abraham and Jacob paid tithes (Genesis 14:20; 28:22). I was always taught that tithing did not originate until Moses, and was part of the Mosaic law. How did Abraham and Jacob know about tithing?
- 137 Genesis 17:10 commands circumcision as the sign of the covenant God made with Abraham and his descendants. Is the act of circumcision necessary today?
- 138 In the Bible I read that many arose from their graves at the time of Christ's resurrection (Matthew 27:51,53). Who were those people? Are they alive today?
- 139 Your two articles on "Germany in Prophecy" in the December and January issues were fascinating. But could you provide me some authoritative quote that illustrates that the name Deutsch -- which Germans call themselves -- really comes from the name Tiw or Tuysco, the old Germanic name of Asshur, the father of the Assyrians? If this fact is true then certainly the Germans are Assyrians by descent.
- 140 Where did St. Valentine's Day come from? Should Christians allow their children to participate in Valentine's Day activities? What
should I tell our children about these customs?
- 141 Does I John 5:7 belong in the Bible? Some say this verse proves God is a Trinity.
- 142 There are so many denominations, how does one recognize the Church Jesus founded?
- 143 What makes Ouija boards work? Is it all right to own one?
- 144 What is the significance of the "Sabbath day's journey" mentioned in Acts 1:12?
- 145 I just can't seem to find the opportunity to pray. How can I solve this problem?
- 146 My husband does not believe in tithing. What are my responsibilities in this case?
- 147 Is it wrong to wash dishes on the Sabbath?
- 148 Is it wrong for me to date a girl who is not a Christian, if she is a girl of good character?
- 149 A few days ago my children asked me a question about the birth of Jesus, which they had been reading. I could not answer it and would appreciate your help. My children want to know why Jesus was laid in a manger -- yet the wise men saw Him in a house. How could this be?
- 150 Why do some believe that Christ was a nazarite and wore long hair?
- 151 I am planning to drill a well on my property. My wife suggested that I have her brother, who is a water diviner, locate the most likely place to drill. I have heard that this method is sometimes successful, but have felt that it might come under "divination" as condemned in the Bible. What is the truth about this?
- 152 I thought it was all right to use "Jell-O" gelatin. But I have been told it contains pork. Is this true?
- 153 We are new members. I realize that our family should attend the Feast of Tabernacles. Please explain how we can afford to make the trip.
- 154 Is Michael, who was called "your prince"
in Daniel 10:21, the person who later become Christ?
- 155 How should we view the American custom of celebrating Thanksgiving Day?
- 156 I will have the opportunity to visit Jerusalem this summer. There are many sites there where Christ was supposedly born, lived, and died. How valid are these sites? How were they discovered?
- 157 Recently I received a surprise visit on the Sabbath from an old school friend who is not in the Church. After she had left I felt guilty of breaking the Sabbath by talking about material things. What should I have done?
- 158 My husband complains that I spend too much time praying and studying the bible, and that I don't spend enough time with him.Can we pray and study the bible too much?
- 159 How should a Christian woman obey her unconverted husband?
- 160 My child recently asked me, "Where did God come from?" Could you please help me with the right answer? I remember asking the same question when I was young.
- 161 If God changed His mind about destroying Israel (Exodus 32:9-14), how can I be completely assured that He won't change His mind about healing me?